Friday, December 19, 2008

All clear!

The following is from an update I emailed to a large group of friends and supporters (whose addresses I inadvertantly made availabe to all recipients, but let's just blame that on cancer while I still can).


The scan came back clear! The doctor and radiologist confirmed that there was no evidence of thyroid cancer. I don't need a follow up treatment of highly radioactive iodine. I don't need any surgeries. Everything is as clean as can be.

What now? Now I give my body time to reach normal thyroid levels. This takes quite a bit of time and can be difficult to dose. They say you can start feeling better in a couple weeks, but everyone is different. My current level is far below what was necessary for my scan, so I have that much extra to make up for. Last time it took me at least 2 months before I was feeling anywhere near normal. Even then the effects of being hypothyroid went beyond simple numbers on a chart. How do you measure daily activity rates, comprehension, personal discipline, dependability, etc. - all things that suffer when you're near shut down? Thankfully, Deb's covered for me well, so most people are unaware of my current uselessness. "Oh, you're not . . . " Yes, I am.

If you want to pray specifically, pray that I'll be patient and kind as I return to strength. For whatever reason, I'm prone to irritability and not really tolerant of the ridiculousness of holiday shoppers and the like. My sarcasm filter is currently set to "off." In the midst of it all I'm learning a lesson that I've expected of others; namely, circumstances are not waivers from responsibility. Difficult pressures do not excuse me from spirit-controlled living nor do they entitle me to special treatment from others. "Having said that," pray that my life will be one of patient graciousness and authentic kindness.

I expect this to be the last of my messages to you all on this topic (Feel free to forward or reply). I can not thank you enough for your prayer support. God is faithful in all things and just in all His ways. He never chooses between His glory and my good since the two are inseparably linked. It was for His glory and my good that thyroid cancer came into my life. It was for His glory and my family's good as well. - Psalm 119:75 I know, O LORD, that thy judgments are right, and that thou in faithfulness hast afflicted me.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Praise the Lord!

Improvedliving said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Improvedliving said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Horaks said...

Praise God! And thank you for the update!

Busch family said...

Thank you for updating us! Praise the Lord for such wonderful news! We will continue to pray for you and Deb and the kids.
We hope you all had a wonderful Christmas together. We miss you all!